We have all felt the impact of too much stress in our lives. Feeling “stressed out” can become a way of life. However, if it’s getting overwhelming and you want to learn some new tips or strategies and don’t know where to start... don’t worry. You can start here!
Quick Stress Relief
Use the following exercises to identify the sensory experiences that work quickly and effectively to reduce stress for you.
Are you a visual person? Try relieving stress with uplifting images.
- Bring the outside indoors; buy a plant or some flowers to enliven your space.
- Surround yourself with colors that lift your spirits.
- Close your eyes and picture a peaceful, rejuvenating place.
Are you sensitive to sounds and noises? Are you a music lover? If so, experiment with the following sounds, noting how quickly your stress level drops as you listen.
- Tune in to the soundtrack of nature of listen to uplifting music.
- Buy a small fountain, so you can enjoy the soothing sound of running water.
- Hang wind chimes near an open window.
Focus on things you can feel that are relaxing and renewing.
- Wrap yourself in a warm blanket.
- Pet a dog or cat.
- Soak in a hot bath.
If you shut down under stress, activities that get you moving may be helpful.
- Dance around.
- Stretch for a few minutes.
- Go for a short walk.
Mindfulness Practice: Using sitting meditation to build awareness of the moment.
TED Talk: How to make stress your friend
Learn about the workshops available to help you better manage your stress.